Place:


Orston  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Orston like this:

ORSTON, a village and a parish in Bingham district, Notts. The village stands near the river Smite, ¾ of a mile N of Elton r. station, 1½ W of the boundary with Leicestershire, and 4¼ E by N of Bingham; and has a post-office under Nottingham. The parish comprises 1, 940 acres. ...


Real property, £2, 897. Pop., 424. Houses, 105. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Earl Manvers. A mineral springis near the village. Gypsum abounds and is manufactured into plaster. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Thoroton, in the diocese of Lincoln.value, £200. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln. The church presents a mixture of Norman and pointed architecture, and has a low tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.

Orston through time

Orston is now part of Rushcliffe district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rushcliffe has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Orston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Orston, in Rushcliffe and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7720

Date accessed: 13th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Orston ".