Place:


Sibton  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sibton like this:

SIBTON, a parish in Blything district, Suffolk; 2½ miles WNW of Yoxford r. station, and 4½ N by W of Saxmundham. Post town, Yoxford, under Saxmundham. Acres, 2,861. Real property, £4,824. Pop., 489. Houses, 101. S. Park is the seat of J. W. Brooke, Esq. A Cistertian abbey was founded here, in 1149, by William de Cheney; was a splendid edifice; and has left some ruins. ...


The living is a vicarage, united with Peasenhall, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £.200.* Patron, J. W. Brooke, Esq. The church is old but good. There are an endowed school with £28 a year, and charities £65.

Sibton through time

Sibton is now part of Suffolk Coastal district. Click here for graphs and data of how Suffolk Coastal has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sibton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sibton in Suffolk Coastal | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7681

Date accessed: 14th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sibton ".