Place:


Oakengates  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oakengates like this:

OAKENGATES, a chapelry in Shiffnal and Wombridge parishes, Salop; on Watlingstreet, on the Coalportbranch of the Northwestern railway, and on the Chester, Shrewsbury, and Wolverhampton section of the Great Western railway, 3¼ miles E by S of Wellington. It was constituted in 1855; and it has stations with telegraph on the railways, and a post-office‡ under Wellington, Salop. ...


Rated property, £2,086. Pop. in 1861, 1,821. Houses, 321. Pop. of the Wombridge section, 1, 516. Houses, 269. The property is divided among a few. Coal and iron ore abound, and are worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £89. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church is good.

Oakengates through time

Oakengates is now part of Telford and Wrekin district. Click here for graphs and data of how Telford and Wrekin has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Oakengates itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oakengates, in Telford and Wrekin and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/768

Date accessed: 13th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Oakengates ".