Place:


Shotley  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shotley like this:

SHOTLEY, a village and a parish in Samford district, Suffolk. The village stands on the rivers Orwelland Stour, 2 miles by water NNW of Harwich r.station; communicates with that town by ferry-boats, from the "Bristol Arms'' or Shotley-Gate; is a scattered place; and has a post-office under Ipswich. ...


The parish comprises 2,051 acres. Real property, £3,828. Pop., 582. Houses, 126. The manor of Overhall-with-Netherhall, belongs to the Marquis of Bristol. A strong fort, mounting 12 heavy Armstrong guns, to command the entrance of the Orwell, was erected in 1866. A kind of stone, used in the manufacture of Roman cement, is largely worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £604.* Patron, the Marquis of Bristol. The church is large; and there are a national school and charities £6.

Shotley through time

Shotley is now part of Babergh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Babergh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shotley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shotley, in Babergh and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7677

Date accessed: 17th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shotley ".