Place:


Shipmeadow  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shipmeadow like this:

SHIPMEADOW, a parish, with a village, in Wangford district, Suffolk; 2½ miles W by S of Beccles r. station. It has a post-office under Beccles. Acres, 820. Real property, £1,427. Pop. in 1851, 515; in 1861, 134. Houses, 30. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £228.* Patron, Mrs. Suckling. The church was repaired in 1856. The Wangford workhouse is here, has accommodation for about 400 inmates, and got a new chapel in

Shipmeadow through time

Shipmeadow is now part of Waveney district. Click here for graphs and data of how Waveney has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shipmeadow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shipmeadow, in Waveney and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7673

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shipmeadow ".