In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shimpling like this:
SHIMPLING, or Shimplingthorne, a parish, with a village, in Sudbury district, Suffolk; 4 miles NW by W of Lavenham r. station. It has a post-office under Bury-St. Edmunds. Acres, 2,698. Real property, £3,640. Pop., 500. Houses, 111. The manor, with Chadacre Hall, belongs to Miss Hallifax. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £600. Patron, the Rev. A.H. Bolton. The church is plain.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shimpling, in Babergh and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th April 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shimpling ".