Place:


Chalcombe  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chalcombe like this:

CHALCOMBE, or Chacombe, a parish in the district of Banbury and county of Northampton; adjacent to the river Cherwell, near the Oxford and Rugby and the Buckinghamshire railways, 3¾ miles NE of Banbury. It has a post office under Banbury. Acres, 1,694. Real property, £4,213. Pop., 468. ...


Houses, 111. The property is much subdivided. A number of the inhabitants are stocking-makers. A priory was founded here, in the time of Henry II., by Hugh de Chacombe; and given, at the dissolution, to the Foxes. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £250.* Patron, W. Martin, Esq. The church is chiefly decorated English; has a porch and a tower; and contains a fine Norman font and a brass of 1500. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.

Chalcombe through time

Chalcombe is now part of South Northamptonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Northamptonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chalcombe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chalcombe in South Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7649

Date accessed: 20th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chalcombe ".