Place:


Braybrooke  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Braybrooke like this:

BRAYBROOKE, a village and a parish in the district of Market-Harborough, and county of Northampton. The village stands near the Leicester and Bedford railway, 3 miles SSE of Market-Harborough; and has a post office under Market-Harborough. It gives the title of Baron to the family of Neville-Griffin.—The parish comprises 3,060 acres. ...


Real property, £4,923. Pop., 458. Houses, 99. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Griffins, ancestors of Lord Braybrooke, and had a castle. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £600.* Patron, the Rev. J. W. Field. The church contains effigies of Sir T. Latimer and Sir N. Griffin; and is good. There are a Baptist chapel, and charities £ 21. Robert de Braybrooke, Lord Chancellor at the beginning of the 15th century, was a native.

Braybrooke through time

Braybrooke is now part of Kettering district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kettering has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Braybrooke itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Braybrooke, in Kettering and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7621

Date accessed: 15th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Braybrooke ".