Place:


Rattlesden  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rattlesden like this:

RATTLESDEN, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Stow district, Suffolk. The village stands on a branch of the river Gipping, 3½ miles S by W of Elmswell r. station, and 4¾ W of Stowmarket; and has a post-office under Bury, St. Edmunds. The parish contains also the hamlets of Poystreet-Green, Clopton Green, Potash, and High-Town; and comprises 3, 254 acres. ...


Real property, £5, 611. Pop., 1, 117. Houses, 257. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to H. L. Cocks-edge, Esq. Clopton Hall is the residence of Major W. Parker. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £930.* Patron, not reported. The church is decorated and later English; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with small tower and neat spire. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities £20.—The sub-district contains also 12 other parishes. Acres, 20, 180. Pop., 6, 551. Houses, 1, 434

Rattlesden through time

Rattlesden is now part of Mid Suffolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Suffolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rattlesden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rattlesden in Mid Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7610

Date accessed: 19th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rattlesden ".