Place:


Norwell  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Norwell like this:

NORWELL, a township and a parish in Southwell district, Notts. The township lies on an affluent of the river Trent, 2 miles S W of Carlton r. station, and 3 N by W of Newark; and has a post-office under Newark. Pop., 601. Houses, 122. The parish contains also the township of Norwell-Woodhouse and the chapelry of Carlton-upon-Trent. ...


Acres, 3, 720. Real property, £7, 547. Pop. in 1851, 957; in 1861, 1,026. Houses, 202. The chief landowners are the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Carlton-upon-Trent, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £356.* Patron, the Bishop of Manchester. The church comprises nave, aisles, transept, S transept chapel, and chancel restored in 1858, with a tower; and contains a stone effigies of a knight. A chapel of ease is in Carlton; and there are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £53 a year, and charities £16.

Norwell through time

Norwell is now part of Newark and Sherwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newark and Sherwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Norwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Norwell, in Newark and Sherwood and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7598

Date accessed: 18th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Norwell ".