Place:


Palgrave  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Palgrave like this:

PALGRAVE, a village and a parish in Hartismere district, Suffolk. The village stands near the boundary with Norfolk, 1 mile S w of Diss r. station, and 4 N W of Eye; and has a Wall letter-box under Diss. The parish comprises 1, 474 acres. Real property, £3, 601. Pop., 739. Houses, 160. The property is much subdivided. ...


The manor belongs to Sir E.Kerrison, Bart. St. John's is the seat of Miss Harrison; and the Priory, of the Rev.J. Martyn. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £400.* Patron, Sir E.Kerrison, Bart. The church is ancient; was recentlyrestored and enlarged; consists of nave and chancel, withporch and tower; and contains monuments to the Harrisons, and the remains of T. Martin the antiquary. There are a national school, and a town-estate charity £62.

Palgrave through time

Palgrave is now part of Mid Suffolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Suffolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Palgrave itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Palgrave in Mid Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7591

Date accessed: 13th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Palgrave ".