Place:


Scalby  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Scalby like this:

SCALBY, a village, a township, and a parish, in Scarborough district, N. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on a brook of its own name, 3 miles N W of Scarborough r. station; and has a post-office under Scarborough. The township extends to the coast, and comprises 2, 130 acres of land and 300 of water. ...


Real property, with Newby, £6, 246. Pop., of S. alone, 643. Houses, 123. The parish contains also the townships of Newby, Throxenby, Burniston, Cloughton, and Stainton-Dale; and comprises 11, 935 acres. Pop., 1,876. Houses, 393. The property is much subdivided. S. brook traverses a pleasant glen to the sea; and S.-Mill, on thebrook below the village, has tea gardens, and is a resort of summer visitors from Scarborough. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £302.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Norwich The church is ancient There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, an alms-house hospital with £13 a year, and other charities £12. Monpesson was vicar.

Scalby through time

Scalby is now part of Scarborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scarborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Scalby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Scalby, in Scarborough and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/759

Date accessed: 18th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Scalby ".