Place:


Blisworth  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Blisworth like this:

BLISWORTH, a village and a parish in Towcester district, Northampton. The village stands on the Grand Junction canal, 1 mile SSW of the Northwestern railway, at the junction of the line to Northampton and Peterborough, and 5½ SSW of Northampton; and it has a station, of its own name, at the railway junction, and a post office under Northampton.—The parish comprises 1,980 acres. ...


Real property, £4,314. Pop., 1,022. Houses, 199. The property is divided among a few. The Blisworth tunnel on the canal, SSE of the village, is 1 mile long. The Blisworth cutting on the railway goes through hard blue limestone; is 2 miles long, with a mean depth of 50 feet; and, though not the largest work of its kind on the line, was the most difficult. Building-stone is quarried; and some iron ore is found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £351.* Patron, the Rev. W. Barry. The church is ancient, and of mixed architectural character; has a brass of 1503; and was recently restored. There are a Baptist chapel, a free school, and charities £25.

Blisworth through time

Blisworth is now part of South Northamptonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Northamptonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Blisworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Blisworth in South Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7583

Date accessed: 17th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Blisworth ".