Place:


Earls Barton  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Earls Barton like this:

BARTON-EARLS, a parish and a subdistrict in Wellingborough district, Northampton. The parish lies on the river Nen, adjacent to the Peterborough railway, 1½ mile NE of Castle-Ashby r. station, and 3½ SSW of Wellingborough; and has a post office‡ under Northampton. Acres, 1,760. ...


Real property, £6,251. Pop., 1,557. Houses, 315. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicar age in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £195.* Patron, E. Thornton, Esq. The church stands on the sub structions of an ancient fort; is partly Saxon or nearly Norman, but exhibits other styles; has a curious tower, striped with stone-work, and faced by long and short quoins. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, national and British schools, alms-houses, and other charities £30.-The subdistrict comprises nine parishes. Acres, 19,284. Pop., 6,239. Houses, 1,329.

Earls Barton through time

Earls Barton is now part of Wellingborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wellingborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Earls Barton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Earls Barton, in Wellingborough and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7564

Date accessed: 19th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Earls Barton ".