Place:


Littleborough  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Littleborough like this:

LITTLEBOROUGH, a parish in East Retford district, Notts; on the river Trent, at the boundary with Lincoln, 2 miles NNE of Cottam r. station, and 8½ E by N of East Retford. Post town, Retford. Acres, 290. Real property, £669. Pop., 60. Houses, 15. The property is divided among three. ...


The manor belongs to G. S. Foljambe, Esq. The Roman station Angelocum, or Segelocum, was here; and Roman altars, urns, coins, and traces of buildings have been found. A notable ferry over the Trent also was anciently and long here. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £65. Patron, G. S. Foljambe, Esq. The church is Norman and good.

Littleborough through time

Littleborough is now part of Bassetlaw district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bassetlaw has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Littleborough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Littleborough, in Bassetlaw and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7537

Date accessed: 24th November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Littleborough ".