Place:


Laxton  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Laxton like this:

LAXTON, or Lexington, a village and a parish in Southwell district, Notts. The village stands 3½ miles SW by S of Tuxford r. station; has a postal pillar under Newark; and gave the title of Baron to the Suttons. The parish contains also the hamlet of Moorhouse, and comprises 3, 610 acres. ...


Real property, £4, 157. Pop., 61 3. Houses, 121. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Earl Manvers. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £224.* Patron, Earl Manvers. The church is ancient; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; was recently restored; and contains some old monuments. A chapel of ease, a beautiful small edifice of 1861, is in Moorhouse. There are chapels for Independents and Primitive Methodists, a school built by Lord Manvers in 1859, and charities £8. Bishop Chappell was a native.

Laxton through time

Laxton is now part of Newark and Sherwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newark and Sherwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Laxton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Laxton, in Newark and Sherwood and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7514

Date accessed: 18th November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Laxton ".