Place:


Langar  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Langar like this:

LANGAR, a village and a parish in Bingham district, Notts. The village stands 2 miles N of the boundary with Leicestershire, and 4¼ SSE of Bingham r. station. The parish contains also the hamlet of Barnston; and its post-town is Elton, under Nottingham. Acres, with Wiverton Hall extra-parochial tract, 3,442. ...


Real property, £6,696. Pop. of L. alone, 320. Houses, 61. The manor belongs to F. Wright, Esq. The living is a rectory united with the chapelry of Barnston, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £208.* Patron, F. Wright, Esq. The church is partly of early English date, partly of the year 1670; was partially restored about 1845 and 1 851; underwent farther restoration, at a cost of nearly £1,000, in 1865; comprises nave and aisles, with a tower; and includes transepts, which are the burial places of Earl Howe and of the Chaworth family, now represented by J. Chaworth Musters, Esq. There are a national school and charities £15.

Langar through time

Langar is now part of Rushcliffe district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rushcliffe has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Langar itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Langar, in Rushcliffe and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7511

Date accessed: 21st September 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Langar ".