Place:


Moulton  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Moulton like this:

MOULTON, a village and a parish in the district of Newmarket and county of Suffolk. The village stands on the river Lark, near Icknield-street, 1¼ mile NE of the boundary with Cambridge, 2 S by W of Kennet r. station, and 3½ E by N of Newmarket; was once a market-town; and has a post office under Newmarket. ...


The parish comprises 3,134 acres. Real property, £3,653. Pop., 518. Houses, 99. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Duke of Rutland. The living is a rectory and a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £700.* Patron, Christ's College, Cambridge. The church is later English; was restored in 1851, at a cost of more than £2,000; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and lofty tower. There are an Independent chapel, a parochial school, and charities £111.

Moulton through time

Moulton is now part of Forest Heath district. Click here for graphs and data of how Forest Heath has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Moulton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Moulton, in Forest Heath and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7505

Date accessed: 22nd February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Moulton ".