Place:


Wombwell  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wombwell like this:

WOMBWELL, a village and a township-chapelry in Darfield parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the Dearne and Dove canal, adjacent to the South Yorkshire railway, 4½ miles SE by E of Barnsley; and has a post-office‡ under Barnsley, and a r. station with telegraph. The chapelry includes Hemingfield village, and comprises 3,557 acres. ...


Real property, £23,199; of which £13,922 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 1,627; in 1861, 3,738. Houses, 659. The increase of pop. arose from the opening of new coal mines, clay-works, and brick-yards. The manor belongs to H. H. Wombwell, Esq. Netherwood Hall is the seat of H. Garland , Esq. An explosion, killing 198 men, occurred at Lundhill colliery in 1857. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £240. Patrons, Trinity College, Cambridge, two turns, and the Rector of Darfield one turn. The church is early English. An Independent chapel, in the Grecian style, was built in 1867. There are also Methodist chapels and three Church schools.

Wombwell through time

Wombwell is now part of Barnsley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Barnsley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wombwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wombwell, in Barnsley and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/749

Date accessed: 24th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wombwell ".