In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kimberley like this:
KIMBERLEY, a hamlet and a chapelry in Greasley parish, Notts. The hamlet lies 2½ miles NE of Ilkeston r. station, 2 E of the Erewash river and canal at the boundary with Derby, and 5¾ NW of Nottingham; and has a post office under Nottingham. The chapelry was constituted in 1848. Pop. in 1861, 2, 821. Houses, 573. The property is subdivided. Framework knitting and coal mining are largely carried on; and there are two breweries and a large corn mill. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £170.* Patron, the Vicar of Greasley. The church was built in 1847, at a cost of £2, 300; and the parsonage was built in 1852, at a cost of upwards of £1.100. There are chapels for Primitive Methodists and New Connexion Methodists, and a British school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Kimberley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Broxtowe. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Kimberley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kimberley, in Broxtowe and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th February 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Kimberley".