Place:


Stainland  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stainland like this:

STAINLAND, a large village and a township-chapelry in Halifax parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 1½ mile SSW of North Dean Junction r. station, and 3½ S by W of Halifax; and has a post-office‡ under Halifax. The chapelry contains also Old Lindley, Holywell-Green, and part of Outlane. ...


Acres, 1,730. Real property, £10,615. Pop. in 1851, 4,173; in 1861, 4,657. Houses, 921. There are several good residences. Woollen, worsted, cotton, paper, and pasteboard manufactures are carried on. A Roman altar was found at Slack. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £300. Patron, the Vicar of Halifax. There are chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, and New Connexion Methodists.

Stainland through time

Stainland is now part of Calderdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Calderdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stainland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stainland, in Calderdale and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/748

Date accessed: 18th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stainland ".