Place:


Great Livermere  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Livermere like this:

LIVERMERE-MAGNA, a village and a parish in Thingoe district, Suffolk. The village stands 3½ miles W by N of Ixworth, and 5 NNE of Bury St. Edmunds r. station; and has a post office under Bury St. Edmunds. The parish comprises 1,549 acres. Real property, £1,951. Pop., 290. Houses, 64. ...


The manor, with Livermere Hall, belonged to the Duke of Grafton; passed to the Cokes, the Actons, and Admiral Sir G. N. Broke Middleton, Bart; and belongs now to Miss Broke. The Hall is a handsome edifice; was built by the Duke of Grafton; and stands in a fine park, which extends into LivermereParva, and is traversed by a fine stream. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Livermere-Parva, in the diocese of Ely. Value, £443. * Patron, Miss Broke. The church is a small thatched building, with a tower. There is a town estate for poor widows, yielding about £39 a year.

Great Livermere through time

Great Livermere is now part of St Edmundsbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how St Edmundsbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Livermere itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Livermere, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7476

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Livermere ".