Place:


Kelham  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kelham like this:

KELHAM, a parish in Southwell district, Notts; on the river Trent, 2 miles NW of Newark r. station. It has a post office under Newark. Acres, 1,857. Real property, £3, 743. Pop., 178. Houses, 36. The manor, with Kelham Hall, belongs to J. H. Manners-Sutton, Esq. K. Hall is a recent and handsome mansion. ...


A five arched bridge, of brick with stone dressings, here crosses the Trent, and was built in lieu of an iron bridge, swept away by a freshet with ice. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Averham, in the diocese of Lincoln. The church is later English; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and includes, in a mortuary chapel, a handsome altar monument to Lord and Lady Lexington.

Kelham through time

Kelham is now part of Newark and Sherwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newark and Sherwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kelham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kelham, in Newark and Sherwood and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7470

Date accessed: 18th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kelham ".