Place:


Holme Pierrepont  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Holme Pierrepont like this:

HOLME-PIERREPONT, a parish in Bingham district, Notts; on the river Trent, 1½ mile SW of Ratcliffe r. station, and 4½ E by S of Nottingham. It contains the hamlets of Holme-Lane and Adbolton, and parts of the hamlet of Lamcote and the township of Bassingfield, the last of which has a post office under Nottingham. ...


Acres, 2, 120. Real property, £4, 011. Pop. in 1851, 179; in 1861, 150. Houses, 28. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged formerly to the Pierreponts, Dukes of Kingston; and belongs now to Earl Manvers. Holme-Pierrepont Hall, a large Gothic mansion, is the seat of Earl Manvers. The living is a rectory, united with the chapelry of Adbolton, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £747.* Patron, Earl Manvers. The church is ancient; was recently restored; comprises nave, chancel, and aisle, with tower and lofty spire; and includes a magnificent mortuary chapel, containing numerous monuments of the Pierreponts and the Manverses. There are three small charities.

Holme Pierrepont through time

Holme Pierrepont is now part of Rushcliffe district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rushcliffe has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Holme Pierrepont itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Holme Pierrepont, in Rushcliffe and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7460

Date accessed: 18th November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Holme Pierrepont ".