Place:


Lawshall  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lawshall like this:

LAWSHALL, a parish in Sudbury district, Suffolk; 3½ miles N by W of Lavenham r. station, and 6½ S by E of Bury-ST. Edmunds. It has two post offices, under Bury-ST. Edmund's. Acres, 2, 969. Real property, £5, 187. Pop., 903. Houses, 204. The property is divided among a few. There is a manufactory of horsehair sofa and chair covers. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £709. * Patrons, the Trustees of the late Sir William Middleton. The church was recently restored and improved, at a cost of about £6, 000; and has three fine painted windows. There are a national school, and charities £22.

Lawshall through time

Lawshall is now part of Babergh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Babergh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lawshall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lawshall, in Babergh and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7450

Date accessed: 22nd February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lawshall ".