Place:


Headon  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Headon like this:

HEADON, a village and a parish in East Retford district, Notts. The village stands 3 miles N of Tuxford r. station, and 4 SE of East Retford. The parish contains also the hamlets of Upton and Thorpe; and bears the name of Headon-with-Upton. Post town, Tuxford, under Newark. Acres, 2, 300. Real property, £2, 841. ...


Pop., 282. Houses, 55. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to G. H. Vernon, Esq. Headon Park was a seat of the Eyres. The living is two fold, a vicarage and a sinecure rectory, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value of the vicarage, £220; of the rectory, £178. Patron of both, G. H. Vernon, Esq. The church is old, but good, and has a tower. There is a Methodist chapel.

Headon through time

Headon is now part of Bassetlaw district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bassetlaw has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Headon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Headon, in Bassetlaw and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7449

Date accessed: 23rd July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Headon ".