Place:


Harworth  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Harworth like this:

HARWORTH, a parish in Worksop district, Notts; adjacent to Yorkshire, 2 miles SE of Tickhill, and 2½ WSW of Bawtry r. station. It includes the hamlets of Norney, Serlby, and Martin; and its post town is Tickhill, under Rotherham. Acres, 4, 320. Real property, £6, 577. Pop., in 1851, 595; in 1861, 925. ...


Houses, 201. The property is much subdivided. The manor, with Serlby Hall, belongs to Viscount Galway. Ruins of a convent are in a wood adjacent to Serlby Hall park. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £687. * Patron, the Duke of Norfolk. The church is neat and good; consists of nave and chancel, with S porch and square tower; and contains several mural monuments. There are a national school, and charities £101.

Harworth through time

Harworth is now part of Doncaster district. Click here for graphs and data of how Doncaster has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Harworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Harworth, in Doncaster and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7437

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Harworth ".