Place:


Kirton  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kirton like this:

KIRTON, a village and a parish in Woodbridge district, Suffolk. The village stands nearly midway between the Deben and the Orwell, 3¾ miles from the coast, 5½ S by E of Bealings r. station, and 8 SE of Ipswich; and has a post office under Ipswich.—The parish comprises 1,813 acres of land and 85 of water. ...


Real property, £3, 083. Pop., 541. Houses, 121. Much of the property belongs to the Ipswich Charity Trustees. There are two manors, one of which belongs to the Duke of Hamilton, the other to Miss Cartwright. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £500.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is early English, in rubble, with a stone tower and a new aisle; and contains a very ancient piscina. There are a Wesleyan chapel and 3½ acres of poors' land. Clara Reeve, who wrote the " Old English Baron, '' was a native.

Kirton through time

Kirton is now part of Suffolk Coastal district. Click here for graphs and data of how Suffolk Coastal has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirton in Suffolk Coastal | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7424

Date accessed: 20th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kirton ".