Place:


Gedling  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gedling like this:

GEDLING, a township and a parish in Basford district, Notts. The township lies on an affluent of the river Trent, adjacent to the Nottingham and Lincoln railway, near Carlton r. station, 3 ½ miles NE by E of Nottingham. Real property, £3, 579. Pop., 397. Houses, 88. The parish contains also the township of Stoke-Bardolph and the hamlet of Carlton; the latter of which has a post office under Nottingham. ...


Acres, 4, 490. Real property, £11, 439. Pop., 3, 130. Houses, 690. Gedling Hall is a chief residence. A number of the inhabitants are stocking-makers. The living is a rectory and a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £1, 075.* Patron, the Earl of Chesterfield. The church is a fine edifice, with tower and spire; and there are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, and charities £32.

Gedling through time

Click here for graphs and data of how Gedling has changed over two centuries. For statistics for historical units named after Gedling go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gedling in Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7412

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gedling ".