Place:


Great Stukeley  Huntingdonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Stukeley like this:

STUKELEY (Great), a parish, with a scattered village, in the district and county of Huntingdon; 2 miles NNW of Huntingdon r. station. It contains the county jail, and has a post-office under Huntingdon. Acres, 2,990. Real property, £3,872. Pop. in 1861, 453,-of whom 36 were in the jail. Houses, 87. The manor belongs to L. Torkington, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £124.* Patron, Trinity Hall, Cambridge. The church has a massive tower of the 14th century, and is good. There are a national school, and charities £16.

Great Stukeley through time

Great Stukeley is now part of Huntingdonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Huntingdonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Stukeley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Stukeley in Huntingdonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7406

Date accessed: 21st November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Stukeley ".