Place:


Finningley  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Finningley like this:

FINNINGLEY, a township and a parish in Doncaster district, and in Notts and W. R. Yorkshire. The township is all in Notts; lies on the Doncaster and Gainsborough railway, 4½ miles N by E of Bawtry; and has a station on the railway. Acres, 2, 360. Real property, £2, 406. Pop., 434. ...


Houses, 94. The parish contains also the township of Blaxton, in W. R. Yorkshire, and the township of Awkley, partly in W. R. Yorkshire, and partly in Notts; and its post town is Cantley, under Doncaster. Acres, 5, 970. Real property, £5, 812. Pop., 896. Houses, 195. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Frobishers; one of whom was the arctic explorer, Martin Frobisher. Finningley Park is the seat of J. Harvey, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £600.* Patron, J. Harvey, Esq. The church has a pinnacled tower, and is pretty good. There are three Wesleyan chapels and two national schools.

Finningley through time

Finningley is now part of Doncaster district. Click here for graphs and data of how Doncaster has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Finningley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Finningley, in Doncaster and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7390

Date accessed: 24th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Finningley ".