Place:


Sawtry  Huntingdonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sawtry like this:

SAWTRY-ALL SAINTS, a parish in the district and county of Huntingdon; containing the chief part of Sawtry village. Acres, with S., St. Andrew and S., St. Judith, 5, 730. Real property of S.-All Saints alone, £2, 546. Pop., 650. Houses, 146. The property is much subdivided. Many Roman coins have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £250.* Patrons, the Duke of Devonshire and J.Athorpe, Esq. The church is early English. There are a national schooland a clothing charity.

Sawtry through time

Sawtry is now part of Huntingdonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Huntingdonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sawtry itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sawtry in Huntingdonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7377

Date accessed: 14th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sawtry ".