Place:


Honiton  Devon

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Honiton like this:

Honiton, mun. bor., market town, and par., with ry. sta., E. Devon, 16½ miles NE. of Exeter and 156 miles SW. of London, 3066 ac., pop. 3358; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. Market-day, Saturday. The town is situated in the valley of the Otter, and is well built. It gives its name to the fine lace, the making of which forms one of the industries of the district. Brewing, malting, iron-founding, and turning are carried on to a slight extent, and there are also mfrs. of bricks, tiles, and brown pottery ware.

Honiton through time

Honiton is now part of East Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Honiton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Honiton in East Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/737

Date accessed: 15th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Honiton ".