Place:


Dunham  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dunham like this:

DUNHAM, a village and a parish in East Retford district, Notts. The village stands on the river Trent, 5 miles ENE of Tuxford r. station, and 10 SE of East Retford; was once a market-town; and has now a fair on 12 Aug., and a post office, of the name of Dunham-on-Trent, under Newark. The parish, jointly with Ragnall, comprises 2, 030 acres. ...


Real property of Dunham only, £2, 570. Pop., 327. Houses, 73. The land lies low; and much of it is subject to inundation. A cast-iron bridge over the Trent here was erected in 1832 by Leather; and has four arches, each 118 feet in span, and a total length of 563 feet. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacies of Darlton and Ragnall, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £370.* Patron, the Bishop of Manchester. The church was restored in 1862. There is a chapel of ease at Darlton. There are also a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £7.

Dunham through time

Dunham is now part of Bassetlaw district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bassetlaw has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dunham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dunham, in Bassetlaw and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7367

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dunham ".