Place:


Cuckney  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cuckney like this:

CUCKNEY, a village, a township, and a parish in Worksop district, Notts. The village stands 5½ miles S by W of Worksop r. station, and 8 N by E of Mansfield; has a post office under Mansfield; and was once a market-town. The township includes also the hamlets of Bonbusk and Milnthorpe. Pop., 540. ...


Houses, 99. The parish contains likewise the townships of Norton, Holbeck, and Langwith; and bears the name of Norton-Cuckney. Acres, 5, 510. Rea property, £6, 889. Pop., 1, 454. Houses, 261. The property is all in one estate. A number of the inhabitants are employed in cotton and stuff mills. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £250.* Patron, Earl Mangers. The church is old but good; and there are a chapel of ease, a Wesleyan preaching-room, and a parochial school.

Cuckney through time

Cuckney is now part of Bassetlaw district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bassetlaw has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cuckney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cuckney, in Bassetlaw and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7361

Date accessed: 21st September 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cuckney ".