Place:


Paul  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Paul like this:

PAUL, a parish in Penzance district, Cornwall; on Mounts bay, 2½ miles S of Penzance r. station. It tookits name from Paul de Leon, a Cornish man; it suffereddeva station from the Spaniards in 1593; and it contains the villages of Mousehole and Newlyn, which have post-offices under Penzance. ...


Acres, 3, 433. Real property, £9, 199; of which £52 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 5, 408; in 1861, 5,072. Houses, 1,095. The property is much subdivided. Paul hill rises with steep ascent, and commands a charming view. There are two ancientgranite crosses, and some remains of an ancient Britishcamp. Pilchard and mackerel fisheries are carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £485.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was given by Richard, king of the Romans, to Hailesabbey; has a fine granite tower, serving as a conspicuous landmark; contains monuments of the Godolphins, the Pendarveses, and others; and was reported in 1859as not good. The churchyard contains the grave and monument of Dolly Penbreath, who died at the age of91 in 1777, and is said to have been the last person whospoke the Cornish language. The p. curacy of Newlynis a separate benefice. There are five dissenting chapels, a national school, alms-houses with £130 a year, and other charities £5.

Paul through time

Paul is now part of Penwith district. Click here for graphs and data of how Penwith has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Paul itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Paul, in Penwith and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/736

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Paul ".