Place:


Leighton  Huntingdonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Leighton like this:

LEIGHTON, a village and a parish in the district and county of Huntingdon. The village stands near two affluents of the river Ouse, 5 miles N by E of Kimbleton r. station; is sometimes called Leighton-Bromswold; is a scattered place; and has fairs on 1 May and 5 Oct. The parish comprises 2,770 acres. ...


Post town, Kimbolton, under St. Neots. Real property, £4,131. Pop., 450. Houses, 91. The manor belongs to the Trustees of the late John Norris, Esq. Leighton-Gorse is a meet for Earl Fitzwilliam's hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £180.* Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church is ancient but good; and consists of nave, transept, chancel, and porches, with fine pinnacled tower. There is a national school.

Leighton through time

Leighton is now part of Huntingdonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Huntingdonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Leighton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Leighton in Huntingdonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7333

Date accessed: 25th February 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Leighton ".