Place:


Clifton  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clifton like this:

CLIFTON-WITH-GLAPTON, a parish in Basford district, Notts; on the river Trent, 1½ mile ESE of Beeston r. station, and 4 SW of Nottingham. It in-Cludes the hamlet of Garbythorpe; and its post town is Beeston, under Nottingham. Acres, 1, 980. Real property, £3, 565. Pop., 382. Houses, 88. ...


The property is divided between two. Clifton Hall is the seat of Sir J. Clifton, Bart. Gypsum and spar are found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £405.* Patron, Sir J. Clifton, Bart. The church is ancient, cruciform, and good; and has monuments and four brasses of the Cliftons. A small college for priests was founded here, in the time of Edward IV., by Sir Robert Clifton. There are alms-houses with £38 a year.

Clifton through time

Clifton is now part of Nottingham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Nottingham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clifton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clifton, in Nottingham and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7329

Date accessed: 21st November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clifton ".