Place:


Saltash  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Saltash like this:

SALTASH, a town, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in St. Germans district, Cornwall. The town stands on theestuary of the Tamar, at the W end of Albert bridge, and at the junction of the South Devon, the Cornwall, and the Saltash and Callington railways, 3 miles N W by N of Devonport; was anciently a place of much importance, but went into decline; owed part of its importance to its being one of the passes into Cornwall; was the seat of assizes for the county in the 14th century; was occupiedalternately by the parliamentarians and the royalists in the civil wars of Charles II.; acquired a borough charterin the time of Henry III.; sent two members to parliament from the time of Edward VI. ...


till 1832, when it was disfranchised; is governed, under a charter of George III., by a mayor, a recorder, and six aldermen; under-went revival at the railway epoch, in connexion with the building and the opening of Albert bridge; has, since that time, undergone much improvement and extension; consists partly of old streets, picturesquely grouped on the steep acclivities of a rocky eminence, partly of new streets, on a new site, at Port-View; carries on malting, fishing, and a coasting trade; and has a head post-office, ‡designated Saltash, Cornwall, a r. station with telegraph, a hotel, an old town hall built on pillars, a mechanics'institute with library, an ancient church with massive tower, a Baptist chapel in the early English style built in 1866, a Wesleyan chapel, national schools, charities £21, markets on Tuesdays and Saturdays, great marketson the Tuesdays before quarter days, and cattle fairs on2 Feb. and 25 July. The chapelry is regarded as conterminate with the town, and is in the parish of St. Stephen-by-Saltash. Real property, £3, 759. Pop. in 1851, 1, 621; in 1861, 1, 900. Houses, 275. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £100. Patrons, the Executors of Sir R. S. Hawks.—The sub-district contains all St. Stephen parish, and six other parishes. Acres, 24, 464. Pop., 6, 240. Houses, 1, 189.

Saltash through time

Saltash is now part of Caradon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Caradon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Saltash itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Saltash, in Caradon and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/732

Date accessed: 18th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Saltash ".