Place:


Hollesley  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hollesley like this:

HOLLESLEY, or HOSELEY, a village and a parish in Woodbridge district, Suffolk. The village stands near the coast, 7 miles SE of Woodbridge r. station; and has a post office under Woodbridge. The parish comprises 4, 026 acres. Real property, £5, 156. Pop., 603. Houses, 140. The property is divided among a few. ...


Hollesley bay, a slight indentation of the coast northward from North Weir point, has from 6 to 8 fathoms water; and two curious old cannons were found in it in 1804. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £970. * Patron, A. Cobbold. The church has a tower.of 1452; comprises nave, chancel, and S porch; and was recently repaired. Charities, £6.

Hollesley through time

Hollesley is now part of Suffolk Coastal district. Click here for graphs and data of how Suffolk Coastal has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hollesley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hollesley in Suffolk Coastal | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7293

Date accessed: 27th June 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hollesley ".