Place:


Hessett  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hessett like this:

HESSETT, a parish in Stow district, Suffolk; 2½ miles S of Thurston r. station, and 5¼ ESE of Bury-ST. Ednunds. Post town, Bury-ST. Edmunds. Acres, 1, 568. Real property, £2, 601. Pop., 454. Houses, 105. The property is divided among a few. The manor was given, by Earl Ulfketel, to Bury abbey;.and, by Henry VIII., to the Bacons; and passed to the Leheups. ...


Hessett Rectory is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £350. * Patrons, M. E. Rogers andTinling, Esqs. The church was built by the Bacons; is in good condition; has a beautiful window and a tower; and contains tombs of the Bacons, and a monnment to Col. Aldrich. Charities, £14.

Hessett through time

Hessett is now part of Mid Suffolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Suffolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hessett itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hessett in Mid Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7285

Date accessed: 20th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hessett ".