Place:


Henstead  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Henstead like this:

HENSTEAD, a village and a parish in Blything district, Suffolk. The village stands 3 miles from the coast, and 5 SE of Beccles r. station. The parish contains also the hamlet of Hulver, which has a post office under Beccles. Acres, 1, 918. Real property, £2, 090. Pop., 534. Houses, 120. The manor belongs to T. B. Sheriffe, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £423. Patron, T. B. Sheriffe, Esq. The church has a Norman doorway, and an embattled tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £25.

Henstead through time

Henstead is now part of Waveney district. Click here for graphs and data of how Waveney has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Henstead itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Henstead, in Waveney and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7279

Date accessed: 20th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Henstead ".