Place:


Blyth  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Blyth like this:

BLYTH, a village and a township in Worksop district, Notts; and a parish in Worksop and East Retford district, Notts, and in Doncaster district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village occupies a gentle ascent on the Ryton rivulet, 2½ miles W by S of Ranskill r. station, and 7 NNE of Worksop; and has a post office under Worksop. ...


It was formerly a market-town; and it still has fairs on Holy Thursday and 20 Oct. The township includes also the hamlets of Norney and Oldcoates, and part of the hamlet of Ranby. Real property, £4,721. Pop., 698. Houses, 167. The parish includes likewise the lordship of Hodsock, and the townships of Styrrup, Barnby-Moor, Ranskill, Torworth, Austerfield, and Bawtry. Acres, 17,110. Real property, £31,057. Pop., 3,486. Houses, 784. Blyth Hall, in Blyth township, belonged formerly to the Mellishes; and is now the seat of H. H. Walker, Esq. Serlby Hall, 2 miles N of Blyth village, is the seat of Viscount Galway. The country around these seats, as well without the parks as within, is so rich and ornate as to look all like a garden. An hospital for a warden, three chaplains, and a number of leprous persons, was founded at Blyth-Spittal, to the S of Blyth village, by William de Cressy, Lord of Hodesac; but has all disappeared. A Benedictine priory was founded at Blyth village, in 1088, by Roger de Builly; and given, at the dissolution, to Richard Andrews and William Ramsden; and a part of it, called the conventual nave, still stands connected with the nave of the parish church. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £751.* Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is a noble edifice in successive characters from Norman to later English; has a very ancient tower; and contains an effigies and armorial bearings of the Mellishes. The p. curacy of Bawtry, with the p. curacy of Austerfield, is a separate benefice. There are four dissenting chapels, two public schools, and two alms-houses.

Blyth through time

Blyth is now part of Bassetlaw district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bassetlaw has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Blyth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Blyth, in Bassetlaw and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7265

Date accessed: 21st September 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Blyth ".