Place:


Blidworth  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Blidworth like this:

BLIDWORTH, a Village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Mansfield district, Notts. The village stands in Sherwood forest, 4 miles E of Kirkby r. station, and 5 SE of Mansfield; and has a post office under Mansfield. The parish includes also the hamlets of Bottoms, Fishpool, and Rainworth. Acres, together with HaywoodOaks and Lindhurst extra-parochial tracts, 6,610. ...


Real property, £6,694. Pop., 1,166. Houses, 250. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Archbishop of York. A hollowed block of rock is regarded by some as a Druidical altar. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £283.* Patron, alternately the Bishop of Manchester and the Prebendary of Oxton. The church is Norman, and was repaired in 1839. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.-The subdistrict includes also two extra-parochial tracts. Acres, 6,610. Pop., 1,188. Houses, 253.

Blidworth through time

Blidworth is now part of Newark and Sherwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newark and Sherwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Blidworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Blidworth, in Newark and Sherwood and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7264

Date accessed: 15th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Blidworth ".