Place:


Tetbury  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tetbury like this:

TETBURY, a small town, a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in Gloucester. The town stands on a rising-ground, 7 miles SSW of Tetbury-Road r. station, and 11 SW of Cirencester; is supposed to occupy the site of an ancient British strength, called Caer-Bladon; had anciently a monastic establishment, afterwards called Hacket-Court; is a seat of petty sessions; consists chiefly of four streets, meeting at a centre; and has a head post-office,‡ a banking office, two chief inns, a town hall, a market house, a police station, an assembly-room at one of the inns, a parochial church of 1784 with old tower and spire, a chapel of ease built in 1848, four dissenting chapels, a literary institute with library and reading room, an endowed grammar-school with £360 a year, another endowed school with £60, alms-house s, a workhouse, charities £653, a weekly market on Wednesday, and six annual fairs. ...


Pop. in 1861,2,285. Houses, 491.—The parish includes four tythings, and comprises 4,582 acres. Real property, £14,099; of which £60 are in gasworks. Pop., 3,274. Houses, 690. The manor belongs to a local charity. Elmstree house , Upton Grove, and the Priory are chief residenccs. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol-Value, £1,000.* Patron, Stanton, Esq.—The sub-district contains 7 parishes. Acres, 16,259. Pop, 4,640. Houses, 974.—The district includes also Didmarton sub-district, and comprises 25,641 acres. Poor rates in 1863, £2,441. Pop. in 1851, 6,254; in 1861, 6,110. Houses, 1,287. Marriages in 1863, 39; births, 164,-of which 3 were illegitimate; deaths, 109,-of which 33 were at ages under 5 years, and 4 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 423; births, 1,880; deaths, 1,130. The places of worship, in 1851, were 15 of the Church of England, with 3,521 sittings; 1 of Independents, with 240 s.; 2 of Baptists, with 450 s.; 1 of Wesleyans, with 144 s.; 2 undefined, with 460 s.: and 1 of Latter Day Saints, with 70 s. The schools were 11 public day-schools, with 545 scholars; 9 private day-schools, with 138 s.; and 15 Sunday schools, with 908 s.

Tetbury through time

Tetbury is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tetbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tetbury, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/725

Date accessed: 25th September 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tetbury ".