Place:


Gunton  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gunton like this:

GUNTON, a parish in Mutford district, Suffolk; on the coast, 2½ miles N by W of Lowestoft r. station. Post town, Lowestoft. Acres, 1, 072; of which 205 are water. Real property, £1, 053. Pop., 73. Houses, 13. the living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £149. Patrons, the Heirs of H. T. Fowler, Esq., and others. The church has late Norman doors, and a low circular west tower; and was chiefly rebuilt in 1700.

Gunton through time

Gunton is now part of Waveney district. Click here for graphs and data of how Waveney has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gunton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gunton, in Waveney and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7241

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gunton ".