Place:


Nailsworth  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Nailsworth like this:

NAILSWORTH, a large village and a chapelry in the S E of Gloucestershire. The village stands in the vale of Rodborough, at the terminus of the Stonehouse and Nailsworth railway, amid pleasant environs, 2 miles S W of Minchinhampton, and 5¾ S E of Stonehouse; has a post-office‡ under Stroud, a railway station, two goodinns, a public drinking-fountain, a subscription-room for lectures and concerts, a church, six dissenting chapels, amechanics' institute, a national school, a British school, a weekly market on Saturday, and a monthly cattiemarket; and carries on extensive woollen cloth manufacture, pin-making, and the making of bed-steads, gun-stocks, and walking-sticks. ...


The railway to it is abranch from the Midland line at Stonehouse, and wasopened in the early part of 1867. The chapelry has noprecise limits; but practically includes portions of the parishes of Avening, Horsley, and Minchinhampton. Extensive beech woods are in the neighbourhood, and supply materials for some of the local manufactures. Several barrows also are in the vicinity, and have beenopened. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £100. Patrons, Trustees and the Rector of Avening.

Nailsworth through time

Nailsworth is now part of Stroud district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stroud has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Nailsworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nailsworth, in Stroud and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/724

Date accessed: 24th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Nailsworth ".