Place:


Gazeley  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gazeley like this:

GAZELEY, a village and a parish in the district of Newmarket, and county of Suffolk; and a sub-district in the same district, chiefly also in Suffolk, but partly in Cambridge. The village stands near Icknield-street, 2½ miles SW of Higham r. station, and 4¾ E of Newmarket; and has a post office under Newmarket.—The parish contains also the hamlets of Higham-Green and Needham-street. ...


Acres, 5, 899. Real property, £4, 658. Pop., 884. Houses, 186. The property is divided among a few. The making of bricks is carried on. The living is a vicarage, united with the rectory of Kentford, in the diocese of Ely. Value, £438.* Patron, Trinity Hall, Cambridge. The church is ancient and tolerable. The vicarage of Higham Green is a separate benefice. There are a Baptist chapel and a British school.—The sub-district contains seven parishes. Acres, 17, 421. Pop., 3, 446. Houses, 729.

Gazeley through time

Gazeley is now part of Forest Heath district. Click here for graphs and data of how Forest Heath has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gazeley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gazeley, in Forest Heath and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7224

Date accessed: 13th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gazeley ".