Place:


Great Gidding  Huntingdonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Gidding like this:

GIDDING (Great), a parish in the district of Oundle and county of Huntingdon; on Alconbury brook, adjacent to Northamptonshire, 6 miles SW by S of Stilton, and 6½ SW of Holme r. station. Post town, Hamerton, under St. Neots. Acres, 2, 050. Real property, £2, 265. Pop., 543. Houses, 111. ...


The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged formerly to the Eugaines and to the Earls of Rockingham; and belongs now to Earl Fitzwillam. The living is a vicarage in the dio. of Ely. Value, £101.* Patron, Hon. G. W. Fitzwilliam. The church is ancient; has a tower and spire; and was recently in bad condition. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, a public school, and charities £4.

Great Gidding through time

Great Gidding is now part of Huntingdonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Huntingdonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Gidding itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Gidding in Huntingdonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7193

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Gidding ".