Place:


Great Gaddensden  Huntingdonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Gaddensden like this:

GRANSDEN (Great), a village and a parish in the district of Caxton and county of Huntingdon. The village stands adjacent to Cambridgeshire, 3 miles NNE of Gamlingay r. station, and 7 SE by E of St. Neots; and has a post office under Royston. The parish comprises 3, 364 acres. Real property, £5, 037. ...


Pop., 641. Houses, 13 4. There are four manors; and they belong to four different parties. The surface is woody; and the rocks are rich in fossils. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ely. Value, £200.* Patron, Clare Hall, Cambridge. The church was built in the 14th century; and consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with porches and tower. There are a Baptist chapel, alms-houses, and other charities £64.

Great Gaddensden through time

Great Gaddensden is now part of Huntingdonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Huntingdonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Gaddensden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Gaddensden in Huntingdonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7191

Date accessed: 17th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Gaddensden ".